WP Backup Plus: Host Compatibility
The information contained here is for shared hosting accounts unless specified otherwise. Please contact your host for details and confirmation as this page should be used as a guideline only, not an official, definitive source on the host quality.
- Servers sometimes overloaded causing browsing sites hosted on them to take a very long time to load or time out.
- Problems reported with sites above 450mb
Overall BlueHost hosting seems to be somewhat hit or miss. Many customers have found that BlueHost is slow and often returns 404 and 500 server error messages for no reason periodically. These can not only cause a bad experience for viewers of your site but also break backup functionality. Though in general our plugin should work, the lack of consistency among the experiences of users of this host results in us not being able to recommend this host.
PHP memory limit is 128MB at MOST. This is low. Hostgator for example provides 256MB which is double.
- One customer had an Addhandler line in .htaccess which gave issues when migrated to another host.
Bluehost requires a database name (and user) to have a prefix of your username, so to be of the form username_databasename.
On the boards, a few people have complained about timing out during backup. To resolve this, support recommends editing your php.ini file to change max execution time to 600.
According to response from tech support these are the limits on how long a process can run before being killed off and are based on whether the customer has a dedicated IP address or uses the shared address.
- Apache/Web (HTML/PHP/Downloads): With Dedicated IP: 12 Hours | Without: 10 Minutes (up from 5 minutes)
- SSH/Shell: With Dedicated IP: 2 Hours | Without: 1 Hour
- Cron Jobs: With Dedicated IP: 30 Minutes | Without: 30 Minutes
- Deamons: With Dedicated IP: Unlimited | Without: 10 Minutes
- Does not allow HTTP Loopbacks (PHP connects back to site via curl to Site URL - ie http://yoursite.com ).
- Unlimited plans terms of service PROHIBITS storing of backups in your account. "Unlimited" is not truly unlimited.
- Resource related:
- Extremely slow zip generation.
- Problems reported with sites above 22mb due to slow processing.
- Possible workaround: Can create a custom php.ini to extend PHP timeout to increase backup run-time.
- Custom control panel. Some changes take up to hours to take effect.
- Slow site load times on some servers.
- Some servers overloaded not leaving processing power for backups.
- System actively kills any PHP process working too hard or too long (ie backups).
- Recently changed PHP runtime limit cap to 30 seconds for shared hosting.
- Current limits of their shared and reseller hosting (9/20/2011)
- safe mode = Off (cannot adjust)
- memory_limit = 64M (MAXIMUM)
- max_execution_time = 30 (MAXIMUM)
- max_input_time = 60 (MAXIMUM)
- post_max_size = 64M (MAXIMUM)
- upload_max_filesize = 64M (MAXIMUM)
- enable_dl = Off (cannot adjust)
- Slow page loads.
- Problems reported with sites above 85mb
- JustHost blocks the command line ZIP command.
- We do NOT recommend WPEngine for compatibility. They do not allow backup plugins on their servers.